Here is the summary of Pope Francis’s Motu Proprio On the Use of the Roman Liturgy Prior to the Reform of 1970:
- Priests ordained after 16Jul21 who wish to celebrate the Old Rite should submit a formal request to the diocesan Bishop who shall consult the Apostolic See before granting this authorization.
- Priests who already celebrate according to the Missale Romanum of 1962 should request from the diocesan Bishop the authorization to continue to enjoy this faculty.
- Bishops should:
- Determine that these groups do not deny the New Rite
- Designate locations for Old Rite OUTSIDE the parochial churches and SHOULD NOT erect new parishes
- Establish the days on which the traditional rite are permitted with the readings proclaimed in the vernacular
- Appoint a priest who is skilled in the use of the 1962 Missal who possess a knowledge of the Latin language
- Not to authorize the establishment of new groups
For the full text of the document, please go to vatican.va.
My thoughts on this: This is one of several things I don’t like about Pope Francis. If he really cares about the Church, he would know that there is a good percentage of happy Catholics who are so used to the 1962 Missal. Their spiritual lives depend on it. So why would you impose these restrictions?
I would rather not comment further, but I would recommend instead that you check out what other conservative and expert Catholics say about this. For example, his Eminence Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke expressed his ‘sentiments of profound sorrow’ that this Motu Proprio has brought to many faithful via his own webpage and through social media too. Here are two other links of expert comments you would want to find out.